Saturday, January 16, 2010

Madras Chicken with Couscous in Slow Cooker

  • 3 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 4 apples, cut into chunks (I used gala; original recipe says to peel the apples but I decided it doesn't need this)
  • 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt (original recipe said 1/2 teaspoon but I felt it needed more salt so I upped it)
  • 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 (8-ounce) jar mango chutney (I used cranberry-apple chutney and it was good)
  • 3 pounds boneless skinless breasts (recipe calls for thighs but I like breasts better)
  • 3 cups hot cooked couscous
  • Greek or plain yogurt
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked and onions are tender for about 3 hours and 45 minutes on high, 7-9 hours on low. (Original recipe says 7-9 hours, but this came out perfectly in our slow cooker, which doesn't have different temperature options.)

Stir well and serve over couscous with a dollop of plain yogurt on top and additional salt and pepper as desired.

Update on 2/23:
This has become one of our favorite dishes and I've made it several times. In the latest version, I just used one onion and upped the garlic cloves to about 12, and it was great. Also have not had chutney on hand a couple of times, so have substituted jam instead - not as perfect a flavor but still delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment